Considering that the world’s ten largest corporations are all based in the United States, it shouldn’t be surprising that the United States appear to be a desired land for many workers. But when it comes to the well-qualified professionals, the first industry expats think of is the American IT industry. 5 out of 10 American largest corporations are IT companies, including such tech giants like Apple, Alphabet (Google), Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook. This article will give you more insight about the opportunities in the American IT industry.
Opportunities in the American IT Industry: The Market Overview
When it comes to the expats seeking a job in the United States, the IT sector is one of the first ones to come to the mind. The reason for that is that those companies now dominate the world’s markets: Facebook enjoys the share of social media search as high as 80%, Google dominates the market of online advertising with the share of more than 90%, and Amazon sells more than 75% of e-books worldwide. It took only 15 years for Amazon to overcome Walmart, its largest rival, in terms of capitalization and double it.
Amazon had overtaken Walmart as the world’s largest retailer
Despite such a significant role the American tech industry plays in the American (and the world’s as well) economy, it still enjoys a far more moderate share of the economy than the financial sector or the retail industry. However, it can be stated for sure that it is exactly the American IT industry that offers the best opportunities for expats in the United States.
Typically, well-qualified IT professionals can be eligible for the green card or can obtain a residence permit with relative ease. Besides, many tech companies – like Google or Facebook – accept skilled workers, who have obtained their IT education online and have succeeded to prove their skills. By the way, high-quality IT education online can be received on such websites like Udacity, Coursera, Pluralsight, and edX in particular.
Tips for Getting Employed in the American Tech Industry
If you want to take advantage of the opportunities in the American IT industry and get employed there, you should keep in mind several aspects. Here are some of the recommendations you should stick to:
- When writing a CV, you should make sure that it is written in an “American way.” It would be best if you have an American friend who can check it and help you write in a correct way.
- Strive to keep the CV short and to the point. The resume must be easy to read and no longer than 2 pages.
- Write a cover letter in a “soft,” friendly way. It should be no longer than 1 page and should highlight your professional knowledge, skills and expertise.
- Don’t hide your accomplishments, but make them shine – the American job market is very competitive and you have to stand out in order to get employed
- Be yourself. If you are a good professional but also a personality who doesn’t fit the company, you will barely be accepted for a job.
- You can make use of our particular employment guides for tech companies, including Amazon, Apple, and Google.
Where to Find Vacancies in the American Tech Industry
First of all, you should try sending your CV to particular companies (use the guides provided above). Yet, you can also find opportunities in the American IT industry on the following websites: